At recent years, coconut water seems to be flooding the supermarkets, bodega, and drugstores. This drink is gradually rising to the position of an alternative health drink free from all kinds of artificial chemicals and preservatives.
Coconut water – what is it?
Coconut water is the liquid found inside the young coconuts. This liquid is to be collected or drunk just at the point when water starts solidifying to form the flesh. The water can be drunk directly from fresh fruits. Commercial coconut drink is pasteurized and is found in bottles and tetra packs.
Nutrients and Ingredients found in Coconut Water:
The water of coconut is naturally low in calorie and free from fat. According to USDA National Nutrients database, per 100g fresh coconut water contains:
• Carbohydrate – 3.71g
• Protein – 0.72g
• Fat – 0.20g
• Cholesterol – 0.00mg.
• Vitamin C – 2.4mg
• Sodium – 105mg
• Potassium – 250mg
• Calcium – 24mg
Apart from these aforementioned elements, coconut water contains a lot of other beneficial and essential agents in it.
Health Benefits of Coconut Water:
The hype around coconut water has associated it with the treatment of diabetes, cancer, kidney problems, hypertension, etc. However, not enough scientific evidence is there to prove all these claims. It is true that coconut water is favorable for health but people should look through all those commercial hypes and exaggerations to discover the true beneficial effects of this natural drink. Below is given a number of positive effects that coconut water is able to offer:
• In tropical region, coconut water is drunk as a natural refreshing drink. It contains electrolytes, mineral, and sugar that nicely refill the hydration level of the body.
• Because of the high potassium and small sodium substance, coconut water does bring some positive effects in controlling hypertension. However, this drink alone is not able to control the whole process. You need to bring extensive changes to your diets as well as lifestyle to curb your hypertension.
• Coconut water can be used as a replacement of sports drinks, for it is low in calorie and contains electrolytes. However, people who do not do heavy workouts do not need this drink, as regular tap water is just fine for rehydrating purpose.
• This liquid is rich in many natural bioactive enzymes that help in digestion and increasing metabolism rate.
• This liquid is a very good source of a number of B-complex vitamins. These vitamins are essential in enhancing the nervous and immune system. They are also helpful in promoting cell growth and division.
• It is also a very good source of potassium and magnesium that are especially helpful when body loses a lot of electrolytes during diarrhea.
• Fresh coconut water has a small amount of Vitamin-C in it, which works as an active anti-oxidant.
Coconut water is a tasty drink that can certainly be a part of your healthy diet. It is indeed better than sugary sodas. However, having a clear conception regarding what benefits you are exactly going to get from it will help you to utilize the true benefits of coconut water.
Great deal on coconut water on Amazon.com! $4.33 per pack with FREE auto-delivery